If this is your first back shaver rest assured, you are in good hands. As I am the leading authority on back shaving products. Why is that? Well, simply I have bought or obtained just about every back shaver for sale online to review and post on this website. Check out my site I’m not kidding. So, I will list my Top 5 Best Back Shavers of 2022 from my very own experience.
Back shavers have come a long way and believe me when I tell you there is one above all the others (see below).
But rest assured I will introduce you to the best back hair shavers on the market that are a pleasure to use and are completely safe to use. I will list the top 5 back shavers of 2022 but also break down the five best manual back shavers, the 5 best Electric back shavers and the best razor extension handles.
Be Careful…There Are A Lot Of Phony Reviews Out There
There is a lot of bullshit out there!
Most of the reviews for back shavers or “best back shavers list” are made and written by someone who (1) has never even used a back shaver, (2) they just review and formulate an opinion by what they see online, (3) don’t actually own the product.
How do I know this?
I check out my competition from time to time and I see what they put on their list and it is laughable. They just contrived a list based on who knows what, but I can assure you it wasn’t from actually using the product. I’ve seen the worst back shavers in their top list and they highly recommend them. Dead giveaway for me but for novice people, they eat it right up! Thereby getting an inferior product and a bad experience. I don’t know about you but this pisses me off.
Here at BackShaverForMen.com, I post unique pictures showing you I own the product and also write a detailed review after using the product. Plus you get my years of experience reviewing back shavers. Also, I pride myself on honesty, if the product sucks I let you know about it.
Table Of Content For 5 Best Back Shavers
This is a really long article so please feel free to skip to the section you are interested in below as I have linked the different categories. For most people, I would recommend using a Manual Back Shaver, these work the best and are the simplest to use.
- Things To Consider Before Purchasing A Back Shaver
- Common Questions On Owning A Back Shaver
- 5 Best Manual Back Shavers
- 5 Best Electric Back Shavers
- 5 Best Razor Extension Handles
Back Hair Isn’t Sexy
Brad Pitt wouldn’t be sexy with back hair, maybe he would with a shirt on but not with it off. As a matter of fact, having no back is actually sexier than having back hair. It will also increase your self-confidence and the way you hold yourself in public.
Having unwanted hair is a real problem for some men and these products help with dealing with this problem.
Things To Consider Before Purchasing A Back Shaver
I have highlighted a whole page concerning many issues one would face in choosing the right back shaver for oneself on this page, Which Back Shaver Is Right For Me? Different Back Shavers Explained.
This will explain all the positives and negatives of each type of back shaver and get you started on the right foot. Most people just want
A Curved Long Handle Is Mandatory
You never ever everrrrrrr…want a straight handle for shaving your back.
It just doesn’t work unless it is curved. Having a curve really allows you to get to every spot on your back more easily. Most of today’s back shaver know this but not all of them do. So make sure it has some sort of curve.
Long Term Cost
Right after the performance of a back shaver, the long-term cost is the second most important factor in determining what type of back shaver you want. It is all up to you the individual.
Basically, there are four types of back shavers
- Cartridges back shavers – Cartridges are put together at a factory and they consist of safety razor blades that are encased in plastic. This is more expensive in the long run and you don’t get to choose what type and brand are used in the cartridge, the manufacturer of the cartridge chooses that.
- Safety razor back shavers – This type of back shaver is one of the cheapest in the long run, it uses standard double-sided safety razor blades which is considerably less money than replacement cartridges. Double-sided safety razors can be bought in packs of 5 on up to packs of 100. Check out my article on Best Safety Razors For Shaving Your Back.
- Electric back shavers – This uses a trimmer and or foil heads. Please keep in mind the foil head shaver will eventually be needed to be replaced as well. I haven’t been impressed by the shaving ability of any foil head shaver either, they are often smaller in width, which means it will take a lot longer to shave your back and they don’t shave as good as a manual back shaver.
- Extension handle – This uses a standard beard or leg razor attached to a handle. These types of razors are not the most efficient at handling back hair. They often clog fast with hair and take considerable time to shave a back. I don’t really recommend these for shaving your back but it can be done.
Nicks & Cuts
Some back shavers are sharper than others depending on the double-bladed safety razor that is used. Most companies don’t advertise what brand they use, they just pick a brand and use it. Believe it or not, different razors have different types of sharpness from mild, sharp, and very sharp.
Moles, scars, and skin tags can be a problem for some as these protrude up above the skin and are the obvious sources of most nicks and cuts. I really don’t have any moles on my back but have experience cuts from being sloppy or not taking my time when shaving with a fresh razor. But this only happened when I was brand new to using a back shaver, nowadays I never nick myself.
Some good advice would be to slow down around problem areas and avoid moles. Take your time and shave right up to the problem skin area.
This is something to always consider when buying anything. So, why not a back shaver as well? I have had only 1 back shaver break on me during my years of reviewing back shavers and I own almost 60 different back shavers now. If you buy a back shaver off of Amazon, Amazon usually allows you to return it in a reasonable time from purchase. If you buy from a website, you might want to check out their warranty before purchase. Be careful of buying from Aliexpress and other such websites as they have different return policies.
Common Questions On Owning A Back Shaver
Is Shaving Your Back A Little Scary At First?
It was for me at first too, but trust me it is easily mastered. Just take your time and don’t rush it. Once you realize how great a back shaver works (depending on the manufacturer of course) you will quickly get over your concerns.
After a couple of times, you will become a master at it. Trust me, it’s easy.
How Long Does It Take To Shave Your Back?
The answer can vary depending on what back shaver device you use to shave your back. I can tell you it should take about or under 10 minutes to fully shave your back with a quality back shaver. I routinely shave my back in under 10 minutes with the #1 Manual back shaver (see down below).
If it takes you longer you have the wrong back shaver or you are just new to back shaving. Beginners should always take it slow when first starting off using a back shaver.
Can You Cut Yourself?
With any razor, you have the potential to cut yourself but thankfully as long as you read the manufactures instructions and follow them you will be completely safe.
I’ve never cut myself bad, just small little cuts when I first started. I’ve actually cut myself worse shaving my beard than I have with shaving my back. So, it is very safe.
Does Shaving Your Back Hair Make It Grow Thicker?
Nope, contrary to popular belief this has nothing to do with how often or how fast your hair grows back. So, shave as often as you want. it doesn’t make your hair grow any faster or fuller.
How Often Should I Shave My Back?
This is totally dependent on your personal preference. If you prefer having a smooth dolphin skin back and going shirtless a lot I would say every 2 to 3 days. If you want don’t mind having stubble I would say every 2 to 3 weeks.
Is There A Lot Of Maintenance With Back Shavers?
No, other than changing cartridges or razor blades and the occasional cleaning after each use there is little maintenance. A small little brush helps to clean the razor’s blades and teeth and keeps everything neat and clean. Nowadays most back shaving companies provide a cleaning brush with a back shaver. Most back shavers are pretty rugged and low maintenance.
Can I Shave My Own Back?
Hell yeah, you can. This is great for shy do-it-yourself kinds of men. You would have to be pretty close to someone to even ask for them to do this. With this relatively newer health and hygiene product (back shavers), you can do it all by yourself and I might add do a great job at it too. Granted you buy a good back shaver. (see below)
Wet Or Dry?
Personally, I like to dry-shave my back. I find it faster just to shave it dry. But others might disagree and I can conceive that point as long as you have tried both methods and still hold fast to that belief. As I have light back hair, but if you have a carpeted sasquatch beaver pelt for back hair I would maybe consider shaving after a shower or in the shower. This would help soften the back hair and prep the skin for shaving. But both methods work.
Also back shaving wet I find the hair clumps and clogs at the razors as opposed to dry shaving where the hair just falls to the floor. I never have a problem with clogs or clumps when dry shaving and I recommend it but feel free to try both if you want to see for yourself.
Do I Need Shaving Cream Or Gel To Shave My Back?
No, I have only shaved my back once with shaving cream and it was such a pain in the ol’ arse. It makes a real mess of things trying to get the shaving cream on your back and staying there, then also falling on the floor while you are shaving.
What Is Right For You? Electric Back Shaver Or Manual Back Shaver???
I have laid out an entire article on just this question here, Which Back Shaver Is Right For Me? Different Back Shavers Explained. This goes into the differences of each method plus the positives and negatives and will help you decide.
Can A Back Shaver Be Used For Body Hair?
100% yes! Most back shavers can also be used to shave body hair as well not just backs. Sometimes it is best to just choke up on the handle and use it with a shorter grip. This allows you better control of the back shaver. But a back shaver will most definitely work for body shaving as well. Just take your time doing it.
A great body hair shaver is the Bakblade Bodblade. It is a short handle with the same great blade design as the Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus (the best back shaver IMHO). You can read my full review here, Bodblade Review.
What I Use!!!
I love using a manual back shaver that is one with actual razor blades to cut the back hair. I prefer it over using electric back shavers. If you don’t know or just want a quick answer I would recommend using a manual (razor blades) back shaver. These work great and are simple to use with no fear of parts wearing out, just replacing the razor blades or cartridges.
What is a Manual Back Shaver?
Answer: Any back shaver that has a cartridge or safety razors installed in the shaving head.
What is an Electric Back Shaver?
Answer: Any powered electric back shaver that is plugged in or battery operated. Electric back shavers will either have just a trimming head and/or a foil shaver head.
Pros Of Using A Manual Back Shaver
- The closest shave you will get is using a manual back shaver.
- Easy to replace blades with either cartridges or razors.
- No need to charge or replace batteries.
- Very easy to clean.
- Super travel friendly as most models fold in half.
- Manual back shavers that use replaceable safety razors (instead of cartridges) can be very affordable to replace the razors.
Cons Of Using A Manual Back Shaver
- A potential to nick or cut yourself.
- Need to be aware of moles, scars, or skin tags on your back and avoid shaving them.
- Manual back shavers that use cartridges can be more expensive over time.
Pros Of Using An Electric Back Shaver
- A lot less likely to cut or nick skin when trimming or shaving.
- Some people don’t like shaving their back but to just trim the back hair shorter.
- Less skin irritation.
Cons Of Using An Electric Back Shaver
- Not that close of a shave as compared to a manual back shaver.
- Requires batteries and/or charging.
- Higher chances of potentially having problems with mechanical issues. As these have more moving parts and parts wear out.
You can read more questions and answers like this on my page, Common Questions About Shaving Your Back Answered.
Brands To Trust
It might seem weird but don’t buy the well-known household grooming brand names for any back shaver.
Why is this?
Well, because they just suck for back shaving. They might work great for beards and such but most if not all from the big names that I have reviewed for back shaving were not even a good back shaver. It just hasn’t happened yet, for those big names like Philips Norelco, Braun, Gillette, etc.
The names in the back shaver world you should trust is:
- Bakblade – The most trusted name in the back shaving world hands down.
- Bro Shaver
5 Best Manual Back Shavers
Any of the models below get my seal of approval and will remove back hair like nobody’s business. So rest assured these kick butt.
QUICK GUIDE TO TOP BACK SHAVERS CATEGORIES
BEST OVERALL – BAKBLADE 2.0 ELITE PLUS
CLOSEST SHAVE – BRO SHAVER 2.2
BEST CHEAPEST IN THE LONG RUN – BRO SHAVER 2.2
BEST FOR THE EXTREMELY HAIRY BACK – BRO SHAVER 2.2
- My highest-ranked back shaver to date!!!!!
- Close shave.
- Get this and rest assured you’ll the best-designed back shaver on the market.
- DRYglide equals zero pain and cuts.
- Long foldable curved handle stores or travels compacted.
- Exfoliator brush.
- Stacked three cartridge indexes with ease when shaving. No additional thought required.
- Best handle!!!
- Easiest back shaver to use and own.
- Can be used for shaving other parts of the body as well.
Read my glowing full review here, Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus Back Shaver Review. This is the best back shaver out there, end of the story.
This is always the one I recommend over any other back shaver I have used and reviewed. For ease of use, quality construction, performance, and best design.
The newest model from BakBlade. The best of the best just step into the room and you better take notice, people. This is a performer making shaving your back quick and effortless, more so than any other back shaver out there. It is well designed and keeps improving with each update, as there have been three Bakblade releases for back shavers.
Every version of back shaver from Bakblade has extremely impressed me and has always made the top of my list. Bakblade is the best out there, hands down and the 2.0 Elite Plus is the King!
- Cheapest back shaver to own and use in the long and short term. Due to this, Bro Shaver uses relatively cheap replaceable double-sided safety razors (no cartridges).
- Options, Options, Options. This puts you in the driver’s seat for choosing what razor blades you want to shave your back with.
- Adjustable shaving head for two settings, mild and Saucy (close) modes. Love this option.
- Replacing razors is fast and easy with nice stainless steel thumbscrews.
- The handle has a nice curve to it and it reaches all areas of the back with ease.
- Great back shaver for the hairiest of men. This is what I would recommend for the full sasquatches out there.
You can read my full review here, Bro Shaver 2.2 Saucy Back Hair Shaver Review.
This is ranked number two in my list because it has a lot of great features and most of all it performs phenomenally. This is for men with ultra hairy backs that don’t want to spend a lot of money on cartridge replacements in the future. This is the cheapest way to shave your back because it uses double-sided safety razors instead of cartridges making it very cheap to buy replacement blades. This leaves you the option of what brand, what kind of cut (mild, sharp, or super sharp), and the number of blades to purchase.
This just tears through back hair.
3. BAKblade 2.0
- Handle folds in half for storage or traveling.
- Another great performer from Bakblade.
- Uses DRYglide technology so you can shave your back dry or wet.
- No cuts, no nicks!
- The head detaches and can be used to shave other body parts.
You can read my full review here, Bakblade 2 Review – Best Back Hair Removal For Men?
This ranks up there in the number #3 spot as the best back shaver. This is the slightly older version before the reigning champ the 2.0 Elite Pro (listed above) took over. A great shaver with two rows of cartridges for a faster shave and less irritation. The DRYglide technology is great with no clogging.
The first model from Bakblade to get the foldable handle.
- Bakblade simplest but highly effective design.
- Indexes amazingly.
- The lightest back shaver.
- Feels great in the hand.
- Kicks ass on back hair. Shaves great.
Read my full review of Bakblade 1.0 here, What is Bakblade?
When you pick this one up and use it, it just feels right. Everything is effortless. The weight, how it is balanced, and the indexing when shaving, just shaves hair naturally. What an amazing first back shaver. I still grab this one when I need to shave my back and believe me I have a lot of back shavers to choose from.
This only has a single cartridge for shaving but don’t let that fool you, it tears through the hair like a raped ape.
You can’t go wrong with this one.
- Another simple and highly effective design.
- Extremely close shave.
- Cheap affordable method for shaving your back.
- Uses replaceable double-sided safety razors instead of pricey cartridges.
- Nice long handle.
Read my full review here on the original Bro Shaver here, Bro Shaver Review.
Another great old stalwart like just like Bakblade 1.0. This sucker just kicks ass on back hair and takes names while doing it. Highly sharp and close as a shave as you would want. A super great option for the extremely hairy as well as the thrifty man looking to save money in the long run. This uses cheap replaceable double side safety razors. You can easily buy a hundred double-sided safety razors for around $12.00. Check out my guide Best Safety Razors For Shaving Your Back.
This still holds up compared to the newer models, as it is a testament to its design.
5 Best Electric Back Shavers
1. Mangroomer Lithium Max Plus – Powerful & Nick Free!!!
- Works great for demolishing back hair.
- A great option for men that don’t want a close shave, as you can use the trimmer head to just take off the bulk of the hair.
- Two heads – A trimming head and a Shaving head.
- The handle is super comfortable and folds.
- The wider trimming head is a nice upgrade from previous models.
- 2-year warranty
- Great length and adjustable handle to get all areas of the back.
- Nicks and cuts forget about it. You will not cut yourself with this device.
- As the name implies it uses a lithium battery. Super!
- Great back shaver for people with sensitive skin.
Read the full review here, Mangroomer Lithium Max Plus Back Shaver Review.
Mangroomer’s top-of-the-line back shaver in which years of research and development have been invested and you can tell when you pick this up and use it. I have reviewed many cheap Chinese rip-offs of electric back shavers none of them come even close to Mangroomer’s line of products.
This shaver has two heads, a trimming head, and a shaving head, and is the best electric back shaver out there.
- Two attachment heads that are interchangeable to achieve maximum a hairless back.
- 2-year warranty.
- A very comfortable handle that is highly adjustable.
- Two-speed settings – regular and power burst.
- Lithium battery for quick and long-lasting charges.
- Foldable handle for out of the way storage as well as storage.
Read my review here, Mangroomer Lithium Max Back Shaver Review.
This is the little brother to the Mangroomer Lithium Max plus (see above). It is built just the same and works just the same except for the trimmer head is smaller. The difference is 13/16″ between the two heads. This has the same quality of build both in the shaving/trimming heads and the handle construction.
- Three different shaving heads included Ultra-Wide Blade Head, Blade Head, and a third Foil Blade.
- The comfortable Mangroomer handle.
- Highly adjustable handle with extension and different angles designed to reach all areas of the back.
- Has a Lithium battery for fast charging.
- A Power Burst Button to power through extra thick back hair.
- Folds up nicely for traveling or for just keeping out of the way.
Mangroomer makes amazing products and this is just another amazing back shaver they offer. This has three specific shaving heads to better tackle back foliage. If you want an electric back shaver you have to consider one of the Mangroomer models that they offer.
- Trimmer cuts hair down to 0.2 mm.
- Can be used on more than just your back as the handle can be taken often to address other areas.
- 100% Waterproof.
- The handle is adjustable.
- Has a Lithium battery for a run time of 40 minutes.
Read my full write-up on this shaver here, Remington Back Shaver BHT6455FF Shortcut Pro Body Groomer With Extendable Curved Handle Review.
This is a back hair trimmer and not a shaver. So you will have stubble, but for some people, this is what they want. As some people don’t like how the hair itches when it grows back after shaving it. This can be detached from the handle and used on other parts of the body as well. Love seeing the Lithium battery, instead of a NiCad battery.
- Shaving and trimming heads are all attached and ready to go. No switching out of different heads.
- Lots of attaching combs to get the perfect hair length for other problem areas.
- Self-sharpening Blades.
- Nice comfortable handle.
- It is showerproof.
- Can be used both dry and wet.
- 50-minute run time.
Read more about this here, Philips Norelco Multigroom 3100 Review.
This is a multipurpose trimmer/shaver, with both features fully attached to the head. This means no switching out of different heads or shavers. This comes with 3 different combs that attach to the head to vary the length of hair for other parts of your body. Doesn’t clog with hair no matter how hairy the back.
5 Best Razor Extension Handles
- Full lockdown when attaching a razor as the velcro system when used right allows virtually no movement.
- Extends to a full length (without the razor) to 20.8″. This is a great length and should reach all backs as well as legs.
- Great for people with mobility problems that still want to address hair issues.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- An oh-so-important lanyard to help to have to pick it up after dropping it.
- Non-slip comfortable handle.
- Great for older people, as the handle is easier to hold.
Read BackShaverForMen full review here, Smooth Reach Long Razor Extension Handle Review.
For a back shaver, this will do the job but not as efficiently as the ones mentioned above in this article, where this really shines is for people that need to shave their legs but have mobility issues. This can really help pregnant women, people recovering from surgeries or injures, and/or disabled people with limited mobility.
Once a razor is attached it is not moving, the velcro strap really locks it in. The handle is highly adjustable in length as well as curvature. Best razor extension handle I have reviewed.
- Any razor disposable or reusable will fit on this handle.
- Lightweight and flexible.
- Holds its bent shape and won’t straighten when pressure is applied.
- It will not rust on you, made of stainless steel.
- Made in the USA.
- No movement of the razor when attached when shaving.
- Lifetime guarantee.
Read my review here, Ultraflexx Contour Body Shaving Handle Review.
This is a solid choice for a razor extension handle. This is made from stainless steel and will not rust, so feel free to use it in the shower. Once attached properly there is no extra movement that would hinder shaving with this.
- A great option for people with mobility issues.
- Multipurpose uses, back shaving and leg shaving.
- Great indexing when shaving, needs little thought with getting proper shave.
- Long handle adjust to 20 3/16″ inches long.
- Two shaving head attachments to accommodate just about every razor handle on the market.
Read my full in-depth product breakdown here, Giraffe Razor Extender Handle Review.
Would work for a back shaver in a pinch but expect longer shave times, as you are using a beard razor after all with less shaving area. More designed for shaving legs and by the color of the product for the ladies. Should hold every razor you can throw at it with the two head attachments provided.
- This can be used anywhere.
- Foldable handle.
- This has three blades per razor.
- Great ribbed handle to allow for a secure grip.
- Cheap replaceable blades.
Read my review here of this product, Evolve Body Razor Review.
This is just a long foldable handle body razor, for the back, legs, or where ever you want to use it. The handle is lockable when fully extended and offers a decent length. My wife has used this and she really liked it for shaving her legs.
- Recommend using the Razorba Goat Wide Disposable Double Razor with this product for back shaving.
- Can fit standard disposable razors or reusable razors.
Read my review of this product here. Razorba Back Hair Shaver Reviews.
I’m not going to lie here, this is one of my least favorite back shaver razor extensions out there. Just not a fan of it, but I needed 5 so it got added, due to other quality products. By default I guess…
Any questions or comments are always welcomed.