Rest Assured…Having A Hairy Back Is Fixable
If this is your first back shaver rest assured, you are in good hands. As I am the leading authority on back-shaving products.
Why is that?
Well, simply I have bought or obtained just about every back shaver for sale online to review and post on this website. Check out my site I’m not kidding. So, I will list my Top 5 Best Back Shavers of 2023 from my very own experience.
Back shavers have come a long way and believe me when I tell you there is one above all the others (see below).
But rest assured I will introduce you to the best back hair shavers on the market that are a pleasure to use and are completely safe to use. I will list the top 5 back shavers of 2023 but also break down the five best manual back shavers, the 5 best Electric back shavers, and the best razor extension handles.
Be Careful…There Are A Lot Of Phony Freaking Reviews Out There
There is a lot of bull$*@t out there!
Most of the reviews for back shavers or “best back shavers list” are made and written by someone who (1) has never even used a back shaver, (2) just reviews and formulates an opinion by what they see online, (3) don’t actually own the product.
How do I know this?
I check out my competition from time to time and I see what they put on their list and it is laughable. They just contrived a list based on who knows what, but I can assure you it wasn’t from actually using the product. I’ve seen the worst back shavers in their top list and they highly recommend them. Dead giveaway for me but for novice people, eat it right up! Thereby getting an inferior product and a bad experience. I don’t know about you but this pisses me off.
I have reviewed 99% of the back shavers on the market, I literally have them all. This makes my best back shavers list unique and trustworthy.
Here at BackShaverForMen.com, I post unique pictures showing you I own the product and also write a detailed review after using the product. Plus you get my years of experience reviewing back shavers. Also, I pride myself on honesty, if the product sucks I let you know about it.
Need A Quick Answer For What Is The Best Back Shavers?
This article is quite long and if you want to know what is the best back shaver just get a Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus Back Shaver from the manual back shaver. Trust me this is the best there is!
5 Best Manual Back Shavers
Any of the models below get my seal of approval and will remove back hair like nobody’s business. So rest assured these kick butt. No duds in this list.
QUICK GUIDE TO TOP BACK SHAVERS CATEGORIES
BEST OVERALL – BAKBLADE 2.0 ELITE PLUS
CLOSEST SHAVE – BRO SHAVER 2.2
BEST CHEAPEST IN THE LONG RUN – BRO SHAVER 2.2
BEST FOR THE EXTREMELY HAIRY BACK – BRO SHAVER 2.2
1. Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus Back Shaver
- My highest-ranked back shaver to date!!!!! Because of how well it works.
- Gentler on the skin but still an ass kicker!!!
- Close shave.
- Quality, quality, quality!!!
- This has never nicked or cut me. Super safe.
- Best back shaving brand in the world.
- Integrity company that stands behind its product.
- Get this and rest assured you’ll have the best-designed back shaver on the market.
- DRYglide equals zero pain and cuts.
- Long foldable curved handle stores or travels compacted.
- Stacked three cartridge indexes with ease when shaving. No additional thought is required.
- Best handle!!! Very comfortable and is the best handle I have ever used for a back shaver.
- Easiest back shaver to use and own.
- Can be used for shaving other parts of the body as well.
- 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The easiest method of replacing blades by far!!!
- The shaving head comes off to shave other areas of your body like your chest, arms, and abs.
- Proprietary shaving cartridges are more pricer than other back shaving systems that use cheaper standard double-sided safety razors.
- Not a huge fan of the exfoliant brush. (I just don’t use it.)
- Type: Manual
- Type of Razor Blades Used – Bakblade 2.0 Replacement Blades (shaving cartridges)
- Length – 17 3/4″
- Width – 3″
- Number Of Blades – 3 Shaving Cartridges (6 razors)
- Handle Comfort – Amazing (Best)
- How Long Do Blades Last? – 5-7 shaves roughly.
Read my glowing full review here, Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus Back Shaver Review. This is the best back shaver out there, end of the story.
This is always the one I recommend over any other back shaver I have used and reviewed. For ease of use, quality construction, performance, and best design.
This is the newest model from BakBlade. The best of the best just step into the room and you better take notice, people. This is a performer making shaving your back quick and effortless, more so than any other back shaver out there. It is well-designed and keeps improving with each update, as there have been three Bakblade releases for back shavers.
Every version of the back shaver from Bakblade has extremely impressed me and has always made the top of my list. Bakblade is the best out there, hands down and the 2.0 Elite Plus is the King!
It has a long handle that is the best most comfortable handle on a back shaver I’ve seen. The handle is curved to allow you to reach every spot on your back with ease. There are slight finger indentations that really allow you to secure a firm grip.
The 3 stack shaving cartridges really shave extremely often times you only have to go over an area once. This is great for people with sensitive skin. The blades are sharp and this is recommended for guys with really hairy back too.
Shaving with this back shaver only takes 8 minutes or less, it is that effective. Blade replacement is so easy, you just slid out the old one and slide it in til it clicks and you are done. No screwdrivers or thumbscrews here.
For these reasons, the Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus makes the top of my list of the best back shavers out there.
2. Bro Shaver 2.2 Saucy Back Shaver
- Cheapest back shaver to own and use in the long and short term. Due to this, Bro Shaver uses very affordable double-sided safety razors (no cartridges).
- Options, Options, Options. This puts you in the driver’s seat for choosing what razor blades you want to shave your back with. As you can choose the type and brand of double-sided safety razor you use.
- Adjustable shaving head for two settings, mild and Saucy (close) modes. Love this option.
- Replacing razors is fast and easy with nice stainless steel thumbscrews. No tools are needed.
- The handle has a nice curve to it and it reaches all areas of the back with ease.
- The handle is also long and able to reach all areas of the back.
- Great back shaver for the hairiest of men. This is what I would recommend for the full sasquatches out there.
- 30-day warranty.
- A long curved handle reaches every spot.
- Bro Shaver’s Website.
- Not the most comfortable handle.
- Doesn’t fold for storage or travel.
- Type: Manual
- Type Of Razor Used – Double-Sided Safety Razor
- Length – 17″
- Width – 3″
- Number Of Blades – 5 razors
- Handle Comfort – Average
- How Long Do Blades Last? – 10-14 shaves roughly as this uses double-sided razor blades that you can flip when they get dull.
This is ranked number two on my list because it has a lot of great features and most of all it performs phenomenally. This is for men with ultra-hairy backs that don’t want to spend a lot of money on cartridge replacements in the future. This is the cheapest way to shave your back because it uses double-sided safety razors instead of cartridges making it very cheap to buy replacement blades. This leaves you the option of what brand, what kind of cut (mild, sharp, or super sharp), and the number of blades to purchase.
You can read my full review here, Bro Shaver 2.2 Saucy Back Hair Shaver Review.
I recommend using either the Feather Double Edge Safety Razor Blades (Japan) or the Astra Platinum Safety Blades. The Feather razors are more expensive but widely considered the best. If you want your razors to last a long time go with Astra.
This just tears through my back hair. This is better for a couple of reasons over the larger and older Bro Shaver 1.0. The handle fits in your hand better and is move lightweight and maneuverable too. Plus it is updated to have only two razors installed instead of the outdated 3 razor blades. You might at first think this is worse but two blades work better and remain in constant contact with the skin than the 3 razor blade width.
Also great for beginners as it has adjustable shaving options mild and saucy (more aggressive). The cutting angle on the mild setting is less likely to nick or cut you. Personally, I go with the Saucy setting but if you are new to back shaving it is best to start on the Mild setting.
A very worthy second place for the Bro Shaver 2.2 Saucy in the list of the five best back shavers.
3. Bakblade 1.0 Bigmouth
- Bakblade simplest but highly effective design. If you love simple this is the back shaver to get!
- Elegant design.
- A very solid workhorse of a back shaver.
- The long curved handle allows you to reach every area of the back.
- An opening on the end of the handle to easily hang and store out of the way.
- Indexes amazingly.
- The lightest back shaver I have ever seen. Very lightweight and great for people with mobility issues.
- Very maneuverable.
- Only one shaving cartridge to replace.
- Feels great in the hand.
- Kicks ass on back hair. Shaves great.
- Shaving cartridges are a snap to put on and off. No screws to secure or unsecured for another reason people with hand problems can change cartridges with ease.
- 60-day warranty.
- Uses the outdated three-razor blade width as three safety razors are side by side in the shaving cartridge. This doesn’t make for any more or less of a shaving experience.
- Not great for storing or travel as the handle isn’t foldable.
- Type: Manual
- Type Of Razors Used – Bakblade 1.0 Replacement Blades (shaving cartridge)
- Length – 17 3/4″
- Width – 5″
- Number Of Blades – 1 Shaving Cartridge
- Handle Comfort – Good
- How Long Do Blades Last? – 5-7 shaves roughly.
Read my full review of Bakblade 1.0 here, What is Bakblade?
When you pick this one up and use it, it just feels right. Everything is effortless. The weight, how it is balanced, and the indexing when shaving, just shaves hair naturally. What an amazing first back shaver for Bakblade! I still grab this one when I need to shave my back and believe me I have a lot of back shavers to choose from.
They get it right in as it is so lightweight, it almost feels like you’re not really holding anything. Probably the lightest back shaver I’ve ever held. Many people (including me) really love this design!
This only has a single cartridge for shaving but don’t let that fool you, it tears through the hair like a raped ape. Many people stock up on the shaving cartridges out of fear of Bakblade discontinuing this older model in the future. They love it that much.
You can’t go wrong with this one and it ranks 3rd on my best back shavers list.
4. Sigma Back Shaver
- A two-piece handle is great for breaking down for storage or travel.
- Shaves hair like a beast.
- Very comfortable handle that is solid and strong.
- Low-cost replacement blades. Uses very affordable safety razor blades.
- Long 18-inch handle. One of the longest handles for a back shaver.
- Sharp blades are installed and ready to go right out of the box.
- Comes with a canvas storage bag for storage.
- The handle is curved to allow shaving of every area of the back.
- Lifetime Warranty and 60-Day money back guarantee.
- Easy to choke up on the handle, as it is a smooth finish.
- The bottom half of the handle can be removed and the top half can be used as a body shaver too.
- Outdated 3 razor blade width. You only really need 2 razor widths as 3 razors don’t allow all three blades to remain in contact with the skin.
- Changing the razor blades is a pain as you need a small screwdriver to change it.
- Only comes with the installed razor blades, no extras. So make sure you order some safety razors too if you are going to purchase this.
- Type: Manual
- Type Of Razor Blade Used – Double-Sided Safety Razors
- Length – 18″
- Width – 5″
- Number Of Blades – 3 are installed.
- Handle Comfort – Good
- How Long Do Blades Last? – 10-14 shaves roughly.
To find out more head on over to my review here, Sigma Back Shaver – Does It Work?
This is a worthy back shaver and it will shave a sasquatch. The handle is a solid two-piece handle that fits nicely in the hand. You can also grab the handle anywhere on its length and use it. This has the three razor blades stacked side-by-side. It also comes with its own storage bag which is great for keeping everything together.
This uses three safety razors and the shaving head measures 4 1/2″ inches wide. The handle at full length is a whopping 18″ long and more than enough to handle the biggest of backs. Comes with its own storage back which is also handy.
This is indexes nicely as you don’t struggle to find the correct shaving angle, as it is just naturally in the right position. For these reasons, this ranks 4th on my best back shavers list.
5. Bro Shaver (Original)
- Another simple and highly effective design.
- Extremely close shave as you can the level of sharpness with the razors you buy.
- Great for very hairy backs.
- Cheap affordable method for shaving your back.
- Low-cost replacement blades. Uses replaceable double-sided safety razors instead of pricey cartridges.
- Nice long curved handle that reaches the whole back.
- Easy to change out blades.
- The longest on this list, great for really tall people.
- 30-day warranty.
- Cheaper handle construction. It is strong just not the most comfortable.
- Older outdated 3-razor width is used instead of the 2-razor width. As only two razors stay in constant contact with the skin.
- The handle is not foldable and is long which makes storing or traveling with it a pain.
- Type: Manual
- Type Of Blade Used – Any Double Sided Safety Razor
- Length – 20″
- Width – 5″
- Number Of Blades – Takes 3 Safety Razors
- Handle Comfort – Below Average
- How Long Do Blades Last? – 10-14 shaves roughly.
Read my full review here on the original Bro Shaver here, Bro Shaver Review.
Another great old stalwart just like Bakblade 1.0. This sucker just kicks ass on back hair and takes names while doing it. Highly sharp and close as a shave as you would want. A super great option for the extremely hairy as well as the thrifty man looking to save money in the long run. This uses cheap replaceable double-sided safety razors. You can easily buy a hundred double-sided safety razors for around $12.00. Check out my guide Best Safety Razors For Shaving Your Back.
This still holds up compared to the newer models, as it is a testament to its design. Very practical and very affordable. Worth getting. I don’t the design of the handle as it feels cheaply made but the handle is strong just doesn’t fit that great in the hand.
It is also one of the longest handles on this list. You can also attach a lanyard to the end of it for hanging it or avoiding dropping it.
This comes with 15 razor blades and the blades are super easy to change out as it has thumbscrews.
This is ranked 5th in my best back shavers list.
Back Hair Isn’t Sexy – Just Ask A Sasquatch
Brad Pitt wouldn’t be sexy with back hair, maybe he would with a shirt on but not with it off. As a matter of fact, having no back hair is actually sexier than having back hair. It will also increase your self-confidence and the way you hold yourself in public. I don’t make the rules I just follow them.
Having unwanted hair is a real problem for some men and these products help with dealing with this problem. Thankfully, there are very easy ways of handling having a beaver pelt on your back.
Things To Consider Before Purchasing A Back Shaver – What It Takes To Make The Best Back Shavers List?
I have highlighted a whole page concerning many issues one would face in choosing the right back shaver for oneself on this page, Which Back Shaver Is Right For Me? Different Back Shavers Explained.
This will explain all the positives and negatives of each type of back shaver and get you started on the right foot. Most people just want
A Curved Long Handle Is Mandatory
You never ever…ever want a straight handle for shaving your back.
It just doesn’t work unless it is curved. Having a curve really allows you to get to every spot on your back more easily. Most of today’s back shavers know this but not all of them do. So make sure it has some sort of curve. A straight-handle back shaver wouldn’t allow you to shave every area of your back. Just having that slight curve to it really allows you to fully cover the entire back with minimal effort.
Long Term Cost
Right after the performance of a back shaver, the long-term cost is the second most important factor in determining what type of back shaver you want. It is all up to you the individual.
Basically, there are four types of back shavers
- Cartridges back shavers – Cartridges are put together at a factory and they consist of safety razor blades that are encased in plastic. This is more expensive in the long run and you don’t get to choose what type and brand are used in the cartridge, the manufacturer of the cartridge chooses that.
- Safety razor back shavers – This type of back shaver is one of the cheapest in the long run, it uses standard double-sided safety razor blades which is considerably less money than replacement cartridges. Double-sided safety razors can be bought in packs of 5 on up to packs of 100. Check out my article on Best Safety Razors For Shaving Your Back.
- Electric back shavers – This uses a trimmer and or foil heads. Please keep in mind the foil head shaver will eventually be needed to be replaced as well. I haven’t been impressed by the shaving ability of any foil head shaver either, they are often smaller in width, which means it will take a lot longer to shave your back and they don’t shave as well as a manual back shaver. Most manufacturers state that the foil head needs to be replaced every 6 months. Another key area of owning an electric back shaver is eventually the battery will die on you. Also, the small parts of the motor could wear out over time resulting in you having to buy another one.
- Extension handle – This uses a standard beard or leg razor attached to a handle. These types of razors are not the most efficient at handling back hair. They often clog fast with hair and take considerable time to shave the back. I don’t really recommend these for shaving your back but it can be done. Extension handle shavers are best for legs and other areas that are hard to reach for mobility-limited people.
Nicks & Cuts
Some back shavers are sharper than others depending on the double-bladed safety razor that is used. Most companies don’t advertise what brand they use, they just pick a brand and use it. Believe it or not, different razors have different types of sharpness from mild, sharp, and very sharp.
Moles, acne, scars, and skin tags can be a problem for some as these protrude up above the skin and are the obvious sources of most nicks and cuts. I really don’t have any moles on my back but have experience cuts from being sloppy or not taking my time when shaving with a fresh razor. But this only happened when I was brand new to using a back shaver, nowadays I never nick myself.
Some good advice would be to slow down around problem areas and avoid moles. Take your time and shave right up to the problem skin area. Pull the back shaver straight in short strokes never turning the blade when pulling.
Rushing through shaving your back, especially for newbies is not a good idea. Focus on proper technique and pay attention and just be methodical.
This is something to always consider when buying anything. So, why not a back shaver as well? I have had only 1 back shaver break on me during my years of reviewing back shavers and I own almost 60 different back shavers now. If you buy a back shaver from Amazon, Amazon usually allows you to return it in a reasonable time from purchase. If you buy from a website, you might want to check out their warranty before purchasing. Be careful of buying from Aliexpress and other such websites as they have different return policies.
Common Questions On Owning A Back Shaver
Step-By-Step Guide To Shaving Your Back
I’ve written an article highlighting key aspects of how to shave your back if you want more information here, How To Shave Your Back Yourself.
- Where – The ideal area to shave your back is in the bathroom but any room with a big mirror will do. Using a mirror is not necessary to shave your back but it helps especially if it is your first time. Some people like to shave their back in a tub or shower without any water as this makes for easy cleanup.
- Tools Needed – All you really need is a back shaver. So no shaving cream or gels. I highly recommend dry shaving your back. It is the easiest and has the best results.
- Know The Proper Technique -With a back shaver your want to pull the back shaver in short straight lines. Do not pull at an angle or swerve mid-pull, just keep straight pulls. Also, pull slowly especially if you are a newbie. It should also be said to follow the specific instructions from the manufacturer. This can be found in the instruction pamphlet and/or online on their website.
- Arm Positions – Shaving your back is easy but when first starting out, the different arm positions can be a bit tricky at first. There are many arm positions you use to shave your back. This is where using a mirror really comes in handy. Basically, there are three arm positions to know over the shoulder, behind the middle of the back, and behind the low back. Remember to switch hands too, as frequently you must shave with your non-dominate hand to get every area of your back.
- Be Methodical – In order to get all of your back hair shaved you are going to have to do a systematic approach to shaving your back. I normally start at the top of the back & shoulders and work downward. You can focus on one side first or just work from the top down. Also don’t forget to shave the back of the arms too, if they are beastly too.
- Clean Up – I normally just shave my back in front of the mirror in the bathroom. So clean up is quite simple as I just use a broom and dustpan to sweep up the hair afterward.
Is Shaving Your Back A Little Scary At First?
It was for me at first too, but trust me it is easily mastered. Just take your time and don’t rush it. Once you realize how great a back shaver works (depending on the manufacturer of course) you will quickly get over your concerns.
After a couple of times, you will become a master at it. Trust me, it’s easy.
How Long Does It Take To Shave Your Back?
The answer can vary depending on what back shaver device you use to shave your back. I can tell you it should take about or under 10 minutes to fully shave your back with a quality back shaver. I routinely shave my back in under 10 minutes with the #1 Manual back shaver (see above) and for that matter with all of the back shavers in this best back shavers post.
If it takes you longer you have the wrong back shaver or you are just new to back shaving. Beginners should always take it slow when first starting off using a back shaver.
Can You Cut Yourself?
With any razor, you have the potential to cut yourself but thankfully as long as you read the manufactures instructions and follow them you will be completely safe.
I’ve never cut myself badly, just small little cuts when I first started. I’ve actually cut myself worse shaving my beard than I have with shaving my back. So, it is very safe.
You should try to be careful shaving around moles, acne, and scars as these tend to be raised and you can cut yourself by shaving over these. Shaver right up to but not over these features.
Does Shaving Your Back Cause Ingrown Hairs?
I’ve been shaving my back for over 10 years now and I have never had one ingrown hair on my back. This of course doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Anytime you remove hair either by shaving, waxing, epilation, or tweezing can potentially cause ingrown hair. In my opinion, it is not something to worry about.
Alternatives To Back Shaving
You have options not just shaving. There are quite a few methods of ridding your back of hair. I will list them below with the positives and negatives of each method.
- Laser Hair Removal
- Chemicals (Nair for example)
- Electric Back Trimmers
This can be an extremely painful and expensive procedure, as you will generally have to pay a salon to perform this on you. Unless you have a partner to help you out. You are ripping the hair out from the root and doing this in large chunks which doesn’t feel good. Then have the procedure again when the hair grows back.
The positive is you are getting the whole hair follicle out and not just shaving the hair above the skin layer. So hair takes a lot longer to grow back compared to shaving.
Laser Hair Removal
This has the potential over time to have a permanent result and is the main positive of this procedure. This would take quite a few sessions to complete this. Very little pain is associated with laser hair removal.
This would also need to be performed by a salon or purchase a pricey at-home laser hair removal gun. Salons are quite expensive to get this done. Lots of long sessions between 6 to 20 sessions typically.
Also called depilatory creams can be used to remove back hair. Nair is a big household name everybody recognizes. The chemicals dissolve the hair right at the surface level. This generally takes roughly about 5 to 15 minutes but be sure to check the directions and follow them.
This can be messy to apply and not to mention they stink too. Plus it is hard to apply to your back evenly without a partner. People with sensitive skin should avoid depilatory creams as they will probably have a reaction to them.
This is a pretty cheap method of dealing with back hair and a bottle of cream can cost around $5.00 to $25.00.
Electric Back Trimmers
This uses some type of electric hair trimmer with a long handle. Some people don’t like shaving and prefer trimming back hair. There is zero pain with this method and with a quality back trimmer should take under 15 minutes easy.
This would require you to purchase a back trimmer that should last a few years with regular usage.
The negative is the results last the shortest as you are leaving back hair longer than any other method.
One of the more painful methods of dealing with back hair and is very similar to waxing as you are effectively pulling the hair out from the root. Epilators mechanically grab multiple hairs and then pull them out. This method is also going to require you to have assistance too.
The results of using an epilator are good as hair has to grow all the back before needing to use it again.
Does Shaving Your Back Hair Make It Grow Thicker?
Nope, contrary to popular belief this has nothing to do with how often or how fast your hair grows back. So, shave as often as you want. it doesn’t make your hair grow any faster or fuller.
How Often Should I Shave My Back?
This is totally dependent on your personal preference. If you prefer having a smooth dolphin skin back and going shirtless a lot I would say every 2 to 3 days. If you want don’t mind having stubble I would say every 2 to 3 weeks.
Is There A Lot Of Maintenance With Back Shavers?
No, other than changing cartridges or razor blades and the occasional cleaning after each use there is little maintenance. A small little brush helps to clean the razor’s blades and teeth and keeps everything neat and clean. Nowadays most back-shaving companies provide a cleaning brush with a back shaver. Most back shavers are pretty rugged and low maintenance.
Can I Shave My Own Back?
Hell yeah, you can. This is great for shy do-it-yourself kinds of men. You would have to be pretty close to someone to even ask for them to do this. With this relatively newer health and hygiene product (back shavers), you can do it all by yourself and I might add do a great job at it too. Granted you buy a good back shaver. (see below)
Wet Or Dry?
Personally, I like to dry-shave my back. I find it faster just to shave it dry. But others might disagree and I can conceive that point as long as you have tried both methods and still hold fast to that belief. As I have light back hair, but if you have a carpeted sasquatch beaver pelt for back hair I would maybe consider shaving after a shower or in the shower. This would help soften the back hair and prep the skin for shaving. But both methods work.
Also back shaving wet I find the hair clumps and clogs at the razors as opposed to dry shaving where the hair just falls to the floor. I never have a problem with clogs or clumps when dry shaving and I recommend it but feel free to try both if you want to see for yourself.
How Long Does Bakblade Shaving Cartridges Last?
It is highly variable on the number of shaving sessions you will get before needing to change the razors. As there are many factors like the thickness of back hair but on average you will get between 5 to 7 shaves before needing to replace the shaving cartridges.
Do I Need Shaving Cream Or Gel To Shave My Back?
No, I have only shaved my back once with shaving cream and it was such a pain in the ol’ arse. It makes a real mess of things trying to get the shaving cream on your back and staying there, then also falling on the floor while you are shaving.
You do not need shaving cream to shave your back. Most back shavers actually work better without using shaving cream. Trust me…skip the shaving cream.
What Is The Cheapest Back Shaver To Own?
For those frugally-minded people…
The cheapest manual back shaver to own over the life of the back shaver is a back shaver that uses replaceable safety razors. Safety razors are super cheap for example you can order a box of 100 safety razors for under $15.00 and this would last you years of shaving.
As opposed to using a manual back shaver that uses replaceable shaving cartridges. Shaving cartridges are quite a bit more expensive than purchasing safety razors. But using shaving cartridges is much simpler and doesn’t require you to take apart the shaving head.
I will list the best back shavers that use replaceable safety razors below.
The Best Cheapest Back Shavers To Own Over Time
- Bro Shaver 2.2 Saucy Back Shaver
- The Orginal Bro Shaver
- Sigma Back Shaver – A very good back shaver that is built very sturdy.
What Is Right For You? Electric Back Shaver Or Manual Back Shaver???
I have laid out an entire article on this question: Which Back Shaver Is Right For Me? Different Back Shavers Explained. This goes into the differences between each method plus the positives and negatives and will help you decide.
For me, the simplicity of using and owning a manual back shaver is where it is at. Nobody will tell you that an electric back shaver over time will fail. Like the battery or the small moving parts, not to mention the foil shaver which needs to be replaced every 6 months. I have run this website since 2017 and some of the electric back shavers I have purchased no longer work…mostly because the battery has died. I want a product that will last a lifetime without having to buy it again and again.
Depending on the company that made your back shaver will determine the warranty of your back shaver. Most of the big names in back shaving have some type of warranty on their products. But there are a lot of shady back shaver companies too that don’t have any type of warranty. Always be sure to check out their warranty before purchasing.
Can A Back Shaver Be Used For Body Hair?
100% yes! Most back shavers can also be used to shave body hair as well not just back. Sometimes it is best to just choke up on the handle and use it with a shorter grip. This allows you better control of the back shaver. But a back shaver will most definitely work for body shaving as well. Just take your time doing it.
A great body hair shaver is the Bakblade Bodblade. It is a short handle with the same great blade design as the Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus (the best back shaver IMHO). You can read my full review here, Bodblade Review.
What I Use!!!
I love using a manual back shaver one with actual razor blades to cut the back hair. I prefer it over using electric back shavers. If you don’t know or just want a quick answer I would recommend using a manual (razor blades) back shaver. These work great and are simple to use with no fear of parts wearing out, just replace the razor blades or cartridges.
Think the simpler the better.
What is a Manual Back Shaver?
Answer: Any back shaver that has a cartridge or safety razor installed in the shaving head.
What is an Electric Back Shaver?
Answer: Any powered electric back shaver that is plugged in or battery operated. Electric back shavers will either have just a trimming head and/or a foil shaver head.
Pros Of Using A Manual Back Shaver
- The closest shave you will get is using a manual back shaver with an actual razor blade.
- Easy to replace blades with either cartridges or razors.
- No need to charge or replace batteries.
- Very easy to clean.
- Super travel friendly as most models fold in half for easy travel or storage.
- Manual back shavers that use replaceable safety razors (instead of cartridges) can be very affordable to replace the razors.
- The fastest method of removing back hair.
Cons Of Using A Manual Back Shaver
- A potential to nick or cut yourself.
- Need to be aware of moles, scars, or skin tags on your back and avoid shaving them.
- Manual back shavers that use cartridges can be slightly more expensive over time.
Pros Of Using An Electric Back Shaver
- A lot less likely to cut or nick skin when trimming or shaving.
- Some people don’t like shaving their back but just trim the back hair shorter.
- Less skin irritation.
Cons Of Using An Electric Back Shaver
- Not that close of a shave as compared to a manual back shaver.
- Requires batteries and/or charging.
- Higher chances of potentially having problems with mechanical issues. As these have more moving parts and parts wear out.
- Slow. It is a slow process as oftentimes you have to go over your back multiple times as an electric back shaver has two head attachments. A trimmer head and a shaving head, as this translates to going over your entire back multiple times more than using a manual back shaver.
You can read more questions and answers like this on my page, Common Questions About Shaving Your Back Answered.
Brands To Trust
It might seem weird but don’t buy the well-known household grooming brand names for any back shaver.
Why is this?
Well, because they just suck for back shaving. They might work great for beards and such but most if not all of the big names that I have reviewed for back shaving were not even good back shavers. It just hasn’t happened yet, for those big names like Philips Norelco, Braun, Gillette, etc.
None of these household names have made it on my best back shavers list.
The names in the back shaver world you should trust are:
- Bakblade – The most trusted name in the back shaving world hands down.
- Bro Shaver
5 Best Electric Back Shavers
1. Mangroomer Lithium Max Plus – Powerful & Nick Free!!!
- Works great for demolishing back hair.
- A great option for men that don’t want a close shave, as you can use the trimmer head to just take off the bulk of the hair.
- Two heads – A trimming head and a Shaving head.
- The handle is super comfortable and folds.
- The wider trimming head is a nice upgrade from previous models.
- 2-year warranty
- Great length and adjustable handle to get all areas of the back.
- Nicks and cuts forget about it. You will not cut yourself with this device.
- As the name implies it uses a lithium battery. Super!
- Great back shaver for people with sensitive skin.
Read the full review here, Mangroomer Lithium Max Plus Back Shaver Review.
Mangroomer’s top-of-the-line back shaver in which years of research and development have been invested and you can tell when you pick this up and use it. I have reviewed many cheap Chinese rip-offs of electric back shavers none of them come even close to Mangroomer’s line of products.
This shaver has two heads, a trimming head, and a shaving head, and is the best electric back shaver out there.
2. Mangroomer Lithium Max
- Two attachment heads that are interchangeable to achieve maximum hairless back.
- 2-year warranty.
- A very comfortable handle that is highly adjustable.
- Two-speed settings – regular and power burst.
- Lithium battery for quick and long-lasting charges.
- Foldable handle for out-of-the-way storage as well as storage.
You can read my full review here, Mangroomer Lithium Max Back Shaver Review.
This is the little brother to the Mangroomer Lithium Max plus (see above). It is built just the same and works just the same except for the trimmer head is smaller. The difference is 13/16″ between the two heads. This has the same quality of build both in the shaving/trimming heads and the handle construction.
3. Mangroomer Platinum Pro
- Three different shaving heads included an Ultra-Wide Blade Head, Blade Head, and a third Foil Blade.
- The comfortable Mangroomer handle.
- Highly adjustable handle with extension and different angles designed to reach all areas of the back.
- Has a Lithium battery for fast charging.
- A Power Burst Button to power through extra thick back hair.
- Folds up nicely for traveling or for just keeping out of the way.
- 2-year warranty.
Mangroomer makes amazing products and this is just another amazing back shaver they offer. This has three specific shaving heads to better tackle back foliage. If you want an electric back shaver you have to consider one of the Mangroomer models that they offer.
4. Bakscape Back Shaver
- Really great on transition areas like shoulders and back.
- Unique shaving head performs well.
- Very well packaged.
- 1-year warranty.
- Foldable handle. Great for travel or just storing out of the way.
- Water-resistant design.
- 90-minute run time on a full charge.
- Very flexible shaving head.
- No skin irritation.
- Great for people that have a lot of moles, scars, or acne on their backs.
This is a pretty decent back shaver and back trimmer. It comes with two heads, a trimming head, and a shaving head. The shaving head has six rotating razors that really do a nice job of shaving your back and it doesn’t irritate the skin either.
Good build and design quality to it. If it had a bigger trimming head it probably would have made the top of the list for sure.
Check out my full review here, Bakscape Back Shaver Review – Does It Work?
5. Remington Back Shaver BHT6455FF Shortcut Pro Body Groomer
- The trimmer cuts hair down to 0.2 mm.
- Can be used on more than just your back as the handle can be taken often to address other areas.
- 100% Waterproof.
- The handle is adjustable.
- Has a Lithium battery for a run time of 40 minutes.
- 60-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full write-up on this shaver here, Remington Back Shaver BHT6455FF Shortcut Pro Body Groomer With Extendable Curved Handle Review.
This is a back hair trimmer and not a shaver. So you will have stubble, but for some people, this is what they want. As some people don’t like how the hair itches when it grows back after shaving it. This can be detached from the handle and used on other parts of the body as well. Love seeing the Lithium battery, instead of a NiCad battery.
5 Best Razor Extension Handles
1. Smooth Reach Long Razor Extension Handle
- Full lockdown when attaching a razor as the velcro system when used right allows virtually no movement.
- Extends to a full length (without the razor) to 20.8″. This is a great length and should reach all backs as well as legs.
- Great for people with mobility problems that still want to address hair issues.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- An oh-so-important lanyard to help to have to pick it up after dropping it.
- Non-slip comfortable handle.
- Great for older people, as the handle is easier to hold.
Read BackShaverForMen’s full review here, Smooth Reach Long Razor Extension Handle Review.
For a back shaver, this will do the job but not as efficiently as the ones mentioned above in this article, where this really shines is for people that need to shave their legs but have mobility issues. This can really help pregnant women, people recovering from surgeries or injuries, and/or disabled people with limited mobility.
Once a razor is attached it is not moving, the velcro strap really locks it in. The handle is highly adjustable in length as well as curvature. Best razor extension handle I have reviewed.
2. UltraFlexx Contour Body Shaving Handle
- Any razor disposable or reusable will fit on this handle.
- Lightweight and flexible.
- Holds its bent shape and won’t straighten when pressure is applied.
- It will not rust on you, made of stainless steel.
- Made in the USA.
- No movement of the razor when attached when shaving.
- Lifetime guarantee.
Read my review here, Ultraflexx Contour Body Shaving Handle Review.
This is a solid choice for a razor extension handle. This is made from stainless steel and will not rust, so feel free to use it in the shower. Once attached properly there is no extra movement that would hinder shaving with this. The razor isn’t going anywhere, it is locked into place.
The handle is very bendable to the shape you want or need.
3. Giraffe Razor Extension Handle
- A great option for people with mobility issues.
- Multipurpose uses, back shaving, and leg shaving.
- Great indexing when shaving, needs little thought with getting a proper shave.
- The long handle adjusts to 20 3/16″ inches long.
- Two shaving head attachments to accommodate just about every razor handle on the market.
Read my full in-depth product breakdown here, Giraffe Razor Extender Handle Review.
Would work for a back shaver in a pinch but expect longer shave times, as you are using a beard razor after all with less shaving area. More designed for shaving legs and by the color of the product for the ladies. Should hold every razor you can throw at it with the two head attachments provided.
4. Evolve Body Shaver
- This can be used anywhere.
- Foldable handle.
- This has three blades per razor.
- Great ribbed handle to allow for a secure grip.
- Cheap replaceable blades.
Read my review here of this product, Evolve Body Razor Review.
This is just a long foldable handle body razor, for the back, legs, or where ever you want to use it. The handle is lockable when fully extended and offers a decent length. My wife has used this and she really liked it for shaving her legs.
5. Razorba Back Hair Shaver
- Recommend using the Razorba Goat Wide Disposable Double Razor with this product for back shaving.
- Can fit standard disposable razors or reusable razors.
Read my review of this product here. Razorba Back Hair Shaver Reviews.
I’m not going to lie here, this is one of my least favorite back shaver razor extensions out there. Just not a fan of it, but I needed 5 so it got added, due to other quality products. By default I guess…
Any questions or comments are always welcome.
50 thoughts on “5 Best Back Shavers In 2023”
No back hair is not sexy LOL. I was actually looking for a solution for my boyfriend. I was thinking more along the lines of laser hair removal. Wouldn’t this leave stubble once the hairs started to grow out again? What would be the main difference between this and going in for the laser hair removal besides price?
it Depends on the back shaver being used on whether or not it leaves stubble. The back shavers that use razor blades will not leave stubble, the back shavers that just use a trimming head will leave stubble. Granted people that use a razor back shaver their hair will start to grow back in a few days. Thus leaving stubble.
Laser treatment doesn’t work on people with lighter-colored hair. It is my understanding you need darker hair for the laser hair removal process to work. The laser treatment is supposedly permanent after quite a few sessions, as the back shaver would be a lifelong effort.
Thank you for the eye opening article, I was just never aware of the need to shave the back. I have just asked myself which world am I living in. But I have learned today and have noted your recommendations I guess next time I find myself within such a conversation I would be able to add value .
Well, your living in a world where certain men have hair growing on their backs, whether you know about it or not… this is the case. Glad to have help you learned something.
Here is an interesting thing for all of us to consider. According to a Harris Interactive survey of 1,000 women between 18 and 44, more than 90% said they find back hair unattractive. And wait, your wife probably won’t tell you because, in the survey, only 40% said they were brave enough to ask their husband to remove the offending rug.
This is an interesting survey never heard of it before but great information for men with back hair. So 60% of women just keep quiet about their dislike of back hair. So just to be sure, just shave it off. LoL
This is a very informative article you’ve covered. I personally don’t love back hair, it seems so unusual because most people don’t have back hair. This can kill any self-esteem left especially when you are out in public without any top-wear on. Back hair isn’t sexy at all. Glad you did a review on the best back shavers available now
This is a great article. I will share it with my friends.
People look down on people with back hair, it is not fair but neither is life. Thanks for sharing with your friends!
Thanks for the educative post! The issue with getting rid of the back hair is something that has never occurred to me in life. I don’t regard it as anything offending to the opposite sex or to someone very close, but your post has given me maximum exposure to that, no doubt about it. With your recommendations, I must follow suit. It’s so shocking to know that about 60 percent of the spouse wouldn’t say anything even though they dislike the back hair.
Thank you for your honest response to back, it is refreshing to hear you are not offended by it. It is shocking the number of spouses. Thanks for the comment.
Great article Dan, I still don’t understand why people believe back hair will grow fuller if you shave it…I’ve been telling myself it’s time to upgrade shaving for summer. Perfect timing ! It’s strange that many women will not say how much they dislike back hair… Like you said why take the chance, shave it off !
I think this is an old wife tale that has just kept being passed around and believed for years. Shaving your back is simple with these mentioned back shaver, if in doubt shave it off, as far as back hair is concerned.
Thank you for sharing this useful information with us. It’s the first time I’ve heard of razors like this, so for me, this article is doubly useful. It’s great that someone remembered razors like this, I’m sure they make it much easier to shave incessant parts. I wish you many successes in your work!
Hope it helps you find the right back shaver for you. Thanks!
Hey there! Great post on the best back shavers in 2021. I was surprised to see that back hair doesn’t grow back faster when one shaves it off. I shave my chest about once every two weeks because my hair grows pretty fast. I don’t have much hair on my back but I do notice that I have hair on my shoulders. Is there any shavers that you would recommend for shaving shoulders?
Any of the top 5 recommended would be great for shaving your shoulders. The shoulders are typically included when referring to shaving the back. I would recommend the Bakblade 2.0 Elite Pro, it’s the best I have reviewed hands down.
Hi Dan, I’m glad to find your site. I was thinking about doing a gift for my husband and, I was looking for a face shaver, but the back shaver is also a great idea. The summer is coming and shaving is necessary to look nice. I like the Bakblade 2.0 from the manual ones, but for the moment it is not available and Mangroomer Plus from the electric list seems a great choice.
thank you for sharing
Oh yeah, those are both great and should work for your husband. Let me know how it goes once he gets it and uses it. Thanks for the comment.
My dad has been looking all over the internet for one of these but he’s always disappointed with his findings never meeting his expectations. I’m sure he has yet to see some of these products and from what he’s said to me and what I think he may like, the Bakblade looks like something I’d appreciate. Not to mention how affordable it is. Might as well get it for him and surprise him.
Yeah, that would be a wonderful gift for your old man. The Bakblade is great and never disappoints and is the best shaver there is out there.
Kudos on an extremely thorough review page! I really enjoyed the detail included for all the different models, as well as your personal insight as to how they handle and perform. Personally, I’m not a fan of shaving with actual razors, always stuck to the electric. Which of the electric models do you recommend the most?
To each their own, that being said I love Mangroomer Products by far and away, the best electric on the market currently. Their current newest model is the Mangroomer Lithium Max Plus, hope this helps you.
Well, I must admnit, i never thought that i would ever find myself even contemplating such a thing as a back shaver let alone reading a review about them. But I stumbled upon your article here and it intrigued me. Although, I have to say, i find it a mission and a half just shaving my face
Well, welcome Kwidzin. Glad to have ya. Once you use a back shaver a couple of times I feel it is a lot easier to shave your back as opposed to shaving one’s face. I regularly just dry shave my back with no prep and it is done in under 10 minutes.
This is the first time that I have heard of this, I did not know that they had such a thing. I believe that these tools are great for persons who don’t want back hair but grow a lot of them. I am sure that those who have this issue will find these tools to be helpful in managing back hair.
Norman, most men haven’t heard of a dedicated back shaver, even with or without back hair. I hoping to help men that do have this trait to find a solution if they want an effective means of dealing with this problem and increase exposure. Thanks for the comment.
This is such a thorough review in every capacity. I appreciate the time and effort you’ve put in to become like you said “the world’s foremost authority on back shavers”. I don’t really have a hair back at this stage in my life. But I know which place to go to if I ever developed one. Also, good advice about the curved handle. I wasn’t considering that.
Chase, I do try to put a lot of effort into each post and sometimes it is hard. I was like you when I was younger with no back hair but that changed heading into my 30’s. Hopefully, you will avoid the back hair problems but like you said you know where to come if it does happen.
A curved handle is very important to reach every area on your back and it is a must.
Wow! This is something that I didn’t know existed, even though I know there has long been a market for this. I’ve known a few men who have gone down a few different paths from laser hair removal to twisting their bodies to shave with a facial razor (sounds dangerous!). These options seem to be safer than using a standard razor. I’m going to share this with my dudes – I think they will be quite happy to learn of this!
Using a dedicated back shaver is a pretty darn safe and highly effective means of dealing with a hairy back. Most men have no idea either of this product. I find dealing with back hair yourself with a good back shaver is the best option out there but understand if men want to use a laser to rid themselves of bodyhair. I just don’t think it is my route. Thanks for the comment.
Having back hair is embarrassing for men so I don’t blame them for wanting to shave their backs (And, yes, back hair is not sexy). My son needs one of these shavers, probably the Bro Shaver 2.2 Saucy Back Shaver since he has a lot! I’m going to forward this to him so he can make his decision. Thank you for posting!
Glad to help! Let me know how it goes.
Now I must say that this one is interesting, I did not know that there were back shavers out here that can help you to get rid of all that unwanted hair. I believe that a tool like this is just amazing. I don’t have the issue of back hair but I am sure that those who have this issue will be happy to know that there are tools such as these that can help them.
Yes, Norman not many men know about back shavers, even men with hairy backs and they just deal with it by doing nothing at all. There are many quality back shavers on the market that make taking care of back hair so easy. Many of them are listed here in this post.
Many hide their hairy backs. You can show them freely and proudly. But if you do decide to trim them, trimming the hair will give you a neat look that will highlight your muscles. You can achieve a completely smooth look by wet shaving with these devices. this can also be a great gift for a loved one.
Your right shaving or trimming will reveal more muscles and definition plus just overall look better. But if you want to flaunt your back hair that is okay too. Your just a better man than me. I would have to disagree with the wet shaving comment as I have found it is more problematic for shaving your back and I normally just dry shave my back. It is my preferred method by a long way. So much easier and less frustrating.
Shaving my back has nothing to do with the hair going stronger. For me I love to shave it as it help me feel neat and tidy. I do it once in a week but finding the right back shaver has always been a challenge. My wife does it for me, but not always convenient, I have to wait for her. Seams bakblade 2.0 with its ability to shave both when dry and wet will be my choice. thank you for bringing it up.
You are right about shaving back hair and not affecting how it grows back. A common misconception that just keeps lingering around.
I feel the same way about shaving my back too, as I feel cleaner and ready to take on the world. Bakblade makes quality back shavers and is better than anybody else. There the best by far.
How come back hair does not look sexy for men, when front hair looks appealing?
This review is very comprehensive and detailed. The author did a good job purchasing all products he submitted for review. It is good to note that manual back shavers are the best choice, out of all the various types – manual and electric.
It is surprising to note that well known household grooming brand names such as Philips, Norelco, Braun & Gillette fall short of the recommendation.
It is interesting to note that the Evolve Body Shaver, although stated that can be used anywhere, fall under the least favorite.
I commend the reviewer of the back hair shaver for posting a thorough product review, as it would be a great help for consumers that he provided a lot of information.
Yes, it seems hair is more desirable when it is on the front of the body and not on the back of the body. You make some excellent overall observations from my article and everything you comment on is spot on!
Those big-name grooming stalwarts often fall very short in the world of back shaving. A big missed opportunity for them on having a quality product in the world of back shaving. Great comment!
Thanks for this timely review. I’ve a lot of hair on my back and I was wondering how to remove it without involving someone else as I am a widower. Had it not been for this review, I wouldn’t have known that there’re shavers like the ones you’ve shared here.
Having hair on your back may increase body heat and be uncomfortable during hot weather.
You are right as hair can trap heat and trimming that hair off can help you cool off when it is hot as well. Being self-reliant is very important to most men and having a back shaver that you can use yourself with no assistance from anybody is a real game changer in both hygiene and social acceptance. Thanks for the comment Kayamba.!
Wow, what a great post; thank you for sharing “5 Best Back Shavers In 2022” this is very useful and will be helpful for many people. It’s ok to shave everything visible in front of your body, but it gets more complicated than in your back, and it’s not always easy to do; also, asking someone to do it is not always an option. Thank you for this helpful post. Have a great day. Regards. Vlad
Glad to find you found it useful. The back is complicated and you are right. It is very hard to find someone to help deal with back hair. Most people do not want to help…yes they might help you but they don’t really want to. Owning a back shaver can be really empowering in two ways. First being self-reliant and second having more confidence. These two things for men are crucial for being a man.
Have a great day too. Thanks for the comment I really appreciate it!
Hey a great post you have!
This is a good website for men, usually sites like these either don’t exist and if they do they’re hard to find! This should definitely be shared amongst male friends.
I can’t believe I weren’t aware back shavers actually existed! I like how you’ve gone into detail with each product makes it much easier for selection.
Thanks again for creating what’s missing in the market!
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, some men have back hair and it never looks good or attractive. I created my website around this. Then expanded to men’s products in general. Products for men but also I do some articles concerning women as well.
Yeah, I hear that comment a lot about “I can’t believe I wasn’t aware back shavers actually existed”, as this is the case for a lot of men with hairy backs too. As they don’t know if there is a real viable solution to back hair that works…and works quite well.
I have to tell you, this site cracked me up! My husband (we’re all getting older) is starting to get a hairy back! And I use a regular razor to shave his back. LOL. This is a great site and I’m definitely gonna grab one of these for him! I love that you are down to earth in the reviews and very open with your wording! Made me want to continue to your suggestions!
Glad I could make you laugh, it’s rare for me to be funny btw. I also once put my wife through this ordeal (only once, mind you). You must really love your husband. LOL!!! Thanks for the kind words as I try and don’t always succeed.
I was unaware that there was a back shaver available. This could make many men a boost in self-confidence. Having unwanted hair on display is a challenge for some men. Some may feel the hair on their back is a sign of too much testosterone while other may have self-confidence issues.
Oh, it definitely can boost one’s confidence in getting rid of back hair I know it was for me. As far as for me it was just a sign of me getting older. Thanks!