We will do a full deep dive into this post, Bearback Back Shaver Review. I will describe the positives and negatives of using this back shaver. To better help you decide if it is a quality back shaver. I have spent years specifically reviewing back shaver since 2017. This is coupled with decades of shaving my back hair.
Let’s see how Bearback fairs.
I am not an affiliate of Bearback. I purchase this back shaver with my own money to review here. I am an affiliate of Amazon and will post links below where I earn a small commission.
Table of Contents
What Is Bearback Back Shaver?
This is a back shaver with a foldable long handle. Two beard-type razors are placed (side by side) inside a shaving cartridge. The shaving cartridge is replaceable as they slide on and off.
What Is Included With Purchase?
- 1 – Bearback Back Shaver
- 1 – Shaving Cartridge (attached)
When fully extended, the handle of this back is 17 inches long and 9.5 inches long when folded. The shaving head width is 3 1/4 inches wide. The blades measure 1 5/16 inches wide with a total of 2 5/8 inches wide of shaving razors. Notably, 1/4 inch of dead space is in between each razor.
My Experience: Should You Buy It?
Right away, without even using this back shaver, I know how it will perform.
But I still bought it anyway because I only review products I own and have used. The dead giveaway is the beard razors installed in the shaving head. Beard razors don’t work optimally for back shaving. They just simply don’t. They continually clog with hair while also severely increasing shave times.
Now, with that being said, how does it actually perform?
It performs okay. I say this because you have to keep going over an area multiple times to shave the area properly. I am used to shaving an area once or twice and being done. Not here with the Bearback. I will have to put in some elbow work; lots of it!
The pivoting head works well in some areas; in others, it is more of a hindrance. Like the back of the arms, it shaves excellently, but in the middle of the back, I hate it.
Does it clog with hair?
Yes, but not as bad as I initially thought it would. Blowing air or tapping it against the sink dislodges most of the hair from the razors. The razors look spaced out more than your typical beard razor cartridge. But you still have to spend time unclogging it.
I have written a post about back shavers that use beard-style razors and why you shouldn’t buy them. However, this is the best-performing back shaver that uses beard-style razors.
I would not recommend buying this back shaver. Its design is outdated. There are better-performing back shavers that make it so much easier than the Bearback does (see below). This works but it is a real job to get your back shaved. The pivoting head and the beard-style razors are significant flaws in my eyes.
Pros & Cons
- The handle has a good textured feel to it and provides reassurance and a firm grip.
- It has a nice curved handle that is long.
- Very lightweight.
- Shaving cartridges are easy to slide on and off.
- Very affordable price.
- It has a hole at the end of the handle for hanging or attaching a lanyard.
- I like how the shaving cartridge pivots.
- The handle can be folded and still be used for shaving your body. This offers more control for areas like the chest.
- 2-year warranty.
- This can be used with other Bearback attachments (Back & Body Scratcher, Lotion Roller Applicator, Silicone Bath & Shower Body Scrubber, Natural Bristle Dry Brush, Massage Roller)
- This would fit inside most Dopp Kit or toiletry bags when folded.
- It is one of the best back shavers that performs the best with a beard-style razor design that I have used.
- I don’t recommend any back shaver that uses beard-style razors for shaving your back. These clog way too quickly and don’t offer superior performance.
- The wide gap between the two razors. I measure 1/4″ of dead space between the two razors. This means increased shaving time. Most quality back shavers have a much smaller gap.
- The hinge on the handle is tough to open and close. There is an awkward point where you think the handle will break.
- No instructions are provided. Bearback, as a company, should understand that new men have never shaved their backs before and provide information on how to shave them. Unacceptable.
- Back shavers that use shaving cartridges are usually quite expensive compared to other back shavers that use replaceable double-sided safety razors in the long run.
- It takes longer to shave your back than other quality back shavers—multiple passes. I got tired of moving my arm many times to rid myself of a single spot on my back.
What Back Shaver Do I Recommend Over This?
There are much better back shavers out there. Trust me, I have used 99% of the back shavers. This falls in the bottom of the mid-range of back shavers I have reviewed.
For the best back shaver, try the Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus.
Here’s why it is my favorite back shaver: Bakblade 2.0 Elite Plus Back Shaver Review.
Also, check out my 5 Best Back Shavers post.
Final Thoughts On Bearback Back Shaver Review
This is not an optimally designed modern back shaver. It has design flaws (mainly the shaver head). That performs okay, but when I compare it to the best back shaver, it pushes the back-shaving world into the past and not the future. This design was around in the early days of back shavers.
This will shave back hair, but many better options will shave your back more efficiently.
For this reason, I would not recommend this Bearback Back Shaver.
Any comments or questions are always welcome.
My name is Dan and I am the owner and sole contributor to www.backshaverforen.com. I am the leading authority on back shaving.
I started this website in 2017 because I too deal with back hair and I want to help others. My website deals with everything with grooming. I only review products I actually own.