Strongest Most Comfortable Mouth Tape On The Planet? Find Out In This Hostage Tape Review
Today in this Hostage Tape Review I step out of the normal grooming review (kind of) and slightly into a different realm. One I think many people suffer from (including me) and that is breathing through their mouths when they sleep. This can cause a whole list of health problems.
So, I will be running through this product to help determine if it is a good product as well as hopefully share some valuable insights. I know this might sound crazy to some people but believe me there are some major benefits to taping your mouth shut.
I have recently joined the Hostage Tape affiliate program and will earn a small commission on clicked purchased links on this page. This doesn’t influence my review as I highlight both positive and negative attributes. I purchased the Hostage Tape with my own money to fully review it on my website.
Okay…What Is Heck Is Hostage Tape Anyways?
Hostage Tape is just what it says, tape. The tape is a lightweight fabric that you put around your mouth to hold your mouth from opening during sleep. The tape stays attached all night as it is strong enough to keep your mouth shut but easily peels off in the morning even with facial hair.
Thus you are forced to breathe out of your nose instead of your mouth.
The tape measures 3 1/2″ inches long and 1 1/2″ inches wide. This can be ordered either for a month (30 tapes), quarterly (90 tapes), or yearly (360 tapes).
Hostage Tape Potential Benefits – Why You Might Need This
Initially, this might seem really sketchy at first but there is some serious science behind breathing through your mouth. A study published in the December 2013 journal Neuroreport found people that who breathe through their mouths are more likely to have sleep disorders, ADHD, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure.
The list of benefits is extensive.
- Reduced or eliminate snoring
- Improve relationship
- Waking up with a more positive mindset and attitude (this is what I noticed personally)
- Morning Breath/ Bad Breath
- Frequent urination
- Reduced inflammation
- Promotes a better oral microbiome
- Improved sleep
- Improved memory
- Better immune system
- Reduced blood pressure
- Reduced heart problems
Mouth Breathing Is Bad
If you want more information I highly recommend checking out James Nestor’s book Breathe. A really good read and full of information.
How To Use Hostage Tape
Simply pull on both ends of the tape, this stretches the paper backing and breaks it. Now fold the Hostage Tape and open it wider to reveal more of the sticky side of the tape. While still holding both sides of the tape place it around your mouth. As you keep spreading the backing off. You should rub or massage it to make sure a good cohesion is formed. This helps it to stick better.
Taking it off you just slowly pull it off from one side until it is removed.
All done and super easy.
My Experience – Does It Really Work?
I’m a nose breather by day but a mouth breather by night, which has plagued me for many years. I have used several products to alleviate this problem but with minimal success. I tried consciously to keep my mouth shut while sleeping, an impossible task. This would result in me losing a lot of sleep. I also tried a neoprene chin strap and various mouthguards. This was uncomfortable and restrictive and I found myself tearing it off unconsciously and consciously during the night.
Snoring Is BAD!!!
I initially found out I was a mouth breather when sleeping when my wife would tell me I was snoring and I would wake her up. This can put a real strain on a marriage. This has left me sleeping in the spare bedroom for over a decade. Along with that, I would wake up with horrible morning breath.
After quickly receiving my Hostage Tape order (I ordered 30 tapes) I was very eager to try it out. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see the tape was very lightweight and flexible. This means it doesn’t make you want to rip it off in frustration. I found that the Hostage Tape never interfered with my sleep. It only helped me sleep deeper and more soundly.
Once applied you hardly know it is there and quickly forget about it. Allowing you to relax and fall asleep normally.
Facial Hair Not A Problem
The tape is really flexible and strong. I was skeptical wondering if this would hold my big mouth shut…and it did easily. No problem there. Another problem I was worried about was taking off the tape, as I usually sport some kind of facial hair. But this turns out that Hostage Tape has perfectly dialed in the level of stickiness to where this isn’t a problem in the slightest. It just easily peels off in the morning with zero pain or discomfort.
Also, I usually awoke in a lot better mood, actually more cheerful. This was my own personal experience and something that surprised me. I am usually pretty grumpy when I awake but not so much lately.
Morning Breath Be Gone
Another key benefit was I had no morning breath upon awakening after using the Hostage Tape. My mouth wouldn’t dry out during the night thus leaving me with better breath. I always brush my teeth before going to bed and putting on the Hostage Tape.
I recommend applying the tape with the lights on though, as I tried one night to apply it to my mouth without the lights on, and the tape stuck to itself. This only happened to me once. So, that one quickly made it to the wastebasket, wasted.
Anything that improves your sleep with no negative effects is a winner in my book. I truly feel this tape might really change your life, I know it has changed me in just a short amount of time. Expect better sleep and improved health.
Highly recommended to try it for yourself!
Pros & Cons
- Super lightweight. As you hardly know it is there.
- Significantly less constrictive than using a chin strap.
- Doesn’t pull out facial hair. I have a beard/goatee most of the time and Hostage Tape has never pulled any hair from my face. The amount of stickiness is dialed into perfection.
- Easy to apply.
- Easy to take off.
- The tape is flexible.
- No tape residue is left on your mouth after removing it.
- Very comfortable.
- The firm hold of the tape is strong yet not too strong.
- CPAP-friendly with people with nasal masks or nasal pillows.
- The fabric is breathable which in case of emergencies allows for airflow.
- Free shipping (5-7 days) in the USA.
- Fast shipping. I got my order in the same week I ordered it.
- Men and women can use it.
- 100% 30-Day money-back guarantee. Try it out and if it is not right for you simply return it.
- Multiple options for ordering. As you can save a significant amount of money by purchasing a larger order.
- Just the right size to fit over the mouth.
- No peeling of the tape backing. Just pull. Great feature! As I hate peeling the backing. A really nice feature and innovative.
- Funny name.
- Doesn’t disturb your sleep. Never once did I wake up and feel the need to take this off. You hardly know it is there.
- Sleep was wonderful and deep.
- Some CPAP users might not work with as I know some go over the mouth.
- The tape can stick to itself, I have experienced this when trying to put this on with the lights off. It might be better to apply it to your mouth with the lights on.
- Pricey. For just being some tape, buying a month’s supply it comes to 0.83 cents per tape. It gets a lot cheaper for the year’s supply though at just 0.55 cents per tape.
- Some people that mouth breathe during the day might at first find it hard to use this product but with a little practice, it will become easier.
Alternatives To Hostage Tape
I haven’t experimented with any other tape but some people use some other type of medical tape with and without success.
The Final Shave
This works so good I don’t see how any tape could take its place. The correct amount of strength and stickiness while it is still easy enough to take off without pulling off facial hair. I have been religiously using this since receiving my order and actually look forward to it every night because I know it is making me healthier and feel better.
A really great product that if you suffer from mouth breathing while sleeping this is the product to get.