This will be my first review of a beard shaver on my website. Luckily this is a more unique beard shaver than the standard fair of cartridge shavers on the market and this gets me excited for using it as well as reviewing it. As I have always wanted to try a safety razor but haven’t got around to it yet. This isn’t a safety razor but a hybrid of a safety razor and a cartridge. I will share my experience and recommendation using this razor in this post, OneBlade Core Razor Review.
In full disclosure, I purchased the Oneblade Core razor myself as I ordered it from Amazon. I am an affiliate for OneBlade and will earn a small amount of a percentage purchased through my links on this page. This is a small website and if you find my information helpful I would love the support.
Let get some…
What Is OneBlade Core Razor?
The Core is a single-bladed pivoting razor. This is designed to prevent all too common razor bumps, razor burn, and irritation experienced by modern beard razors. This has a plastic polymer outer shell with a stainless steel core, which lends itself to having some heft to it. This comes in two different colors, black and white.
The razor blades are proprietary, as you have to buy a specific type of razor blade to use with this Core. This doesn’t use a standard double-edged safety razor. The razor is inserted into the back of the shaving head and will give a click to confirm when properly seated into the shaving head.
Another important note is the razors according to the manufacture are 2 times thicker and sharper than standard blades.
I goofed!!! I made a mistake in my purchase. But oh well we will just roll with it.
Yeah, it’s not my first purchase blunder. I made the mistake of just ordering the cheapest razor OneBlade had and not reading the differences in performance. As each one is designed for specific beard growth and experience. The Core is for the beginner. As the one I purchase is the mildest out of the bunch. This means the angle of attack is more forgiving and you are less likely to cut yourself. The Core is for men with fine facial hair and inexperienced shavers.
I think I would be better off with my facial hair density and my experience with sharp shaving objects with the OneBlade Hybrid, the middle of the pack. See below on performance of the OneBlade Core to see why this matters.
Other OneBlade Razors That Are Available
OneBlade has two other (3 total) razors to choose from besides the Core Razor.
An Intermediate Razor. A more aggressive razor for moderate facial hair and shave on a semi-regular basis. This comes in two different colors: white and black.
Update: I have purchased and reviewed the OneBlade Hybrid Razor you can find my review here, OneBlade Hybrid Razor Review.
An Advanced Razor. Recommended for experienced shavers with notable coarse hair with daily growth on their faces. This comes in four different colors: silver, limited edition gunmetal, 18K rose gold, and 24k gold.
What Is Included With Purchase?
1 – OneBlade Core Razor
1 – 10 Feather Single Edge Blades (model number FHS-10)
1 – Aluminum razor stand
1 – Oneblade Used Razor Container (Recycling Bank)
1 – Instructions
OneBlade Core Specs
The length of the OneBlade Core is 4 7/16 inches long and the shaving head is 1 13/16 inches wide.
Performance, Should You Buy This?
This was a bit discouraging at first as I was shaving and not a lot of hair wasn’t coming off.
I was thinking to myself, “Is this thing working at all?“.
It was but not as fast as I thought it should be or was used to. I was to later find out this is the less aggressive shaver, meaning it is designed for lighter facial hair. Plus I was also taking it slow and cautious. I found that the more I used it the better it worked by the end of the shaving sessions I was no longer discouraged but almost fully satisfied. Almost because you have to spend more time shaving with this razor to get a clean shave due to its less aggressive design.
It gets a solid 10 out of 10 on Not Getting Any Razor Bumps after using this and I am very prone to this irritation.
I typically get razor bumps on my neck with shaving with regular cartridge beard razors, not the case with the OneBlade at all!!! This makes me very happy. As I usually have to suffer from irritation and unsightly bumps on my neck. I’ve been keeping a short stubble beard for a few years now and might actually go back to a goatee and keep up on my shaving, it impressed me that much! I’ve been told I have a baby face so I gotta keep some facial hair to continue holding my man card.
I have shaved with it 3 times since purchasing it and I actually really love using it. I have become better at using it, although I think my facial hair would be better suited for the Hybrid model. I prefer shaving with this over any of the other 2 or 5 blade modern cartridge beard razors I own.
I did find that I had to go over my entire face a couple of times. It is not one and done by no means to get the smoothness of a dolphin. That being said, it is normal to go over areas multiple times with any beard razor I have ever used. So, pretty normal.
I am undecided on how well the pivoting head feature is a plus or minus.
Pros & Cons Of OneBlade Core
- Zero razor bumps!!! I was extremely impressed with the lack of razor bumps on day 1 and day 2 after shaving with the OneBlade Core razor. Normally, I get a wide patch of razor bumps with a conventional beard razor but not with the OneBlade. Very impressed with this.
- I like the heaviness of this razor. You actually feel like your holding something.
- Made in the USA.
- I love using Feather razor blades! A great brand!
- A great shaver for men with fine facial hair.
- Offers plenty of forgiveness being it won’t cut or nick your skin.
- Decent price for this razor!
- Like the ease of inserting the razor in the back as opposed to unscrewing and screwing to lock the razor in place.
- Great beginner razor.
- Comes with a OneBlade plastic used razor container to safely dispose of used and dulled razor blades.
- It is a good-looking razor.
- Not sure what razor is right for you? You can schedule a phone call with OneBlade to talk to a shaving expert. A great option.
- A great gentle but effective razor.
- There is designed on the back of the shaving head two water openings to help flush hair and shaving lotions out of the blade and shaving head. This works pretty well for flushing the hair out.
- With the supplied number of razor blades (10) you should roughly get 30 shaves out of this before buying more razor blades.
- Uses special proprietary razor blades and not standard safety razor blades. Safety razor blades will not work with the Oneblade. The OneBlade razor blades are a lot cheaper than the standard cartridge beard razor though.
- This is the mildest razor in Oneblade’s arsenal of razors being that it is less likely to cut or nick you but still gives you a good shave. This is for daily shavers with fine facial hair. This is both a plus and a negative as I struggled somewhat in shaving with each pass, but it did get the job done just not that fast.
- It doesn’t use a double-sided razor blade like a standard safety razor does, as you need to apply pressure to the back of the razor blade (flat surface) to insert the blade properly, as well as safely remove the blade.
- I did have to shave essential twice to get a really smooth shave. As I alternated my angle of attack the second time around (against the growth of my beard). This is standard operating procedure though, as I normally do this with any blade.
Tips On Using OneBlade Core
Read and following the directions for using this razor is one of the best pieces of advice I can give you to avoid possible problems.
Take your time when first using any new razor and properly prep your skin with warm or hot water along with using some sort of shaving lotion.
The more you use it the better you become at shaving with it and you will start to really enjoy using it.
How to remove blades
To remove the razor blade simply lift up the back of the exposed razor as you pull. This will release the razor blade from the shaving head.
Where To Buy Oneblade Replaceable Blades At?
You can buy OneBlade replacement blades at OneBlade’s website. They are considerably cheaper if you joined their refill plan as they have a 2-month, 3 months, and 6-month plan. They can also just purchase the blades without a refill plan but at a slightly higher price.
How Long Do The Blades Last?
Typically the blades last for 3 shaves before needing to be replaced with a fresh new one. This can vary depending on your beard thickness and other variables.
The Final Shave
Do I recommend buying this?
Yes, especially, if you have fine hair or are just starting shaving. I would however recommend you buy the right razor for your beard type and shaving experience. The right tool for the right job. For me, I feel I want the next step up in OneBlade’s lineup with a more aggressive angle but for now, I will be using OneBlade Core exclusively until then and will just ignore my other cartridge razors. It’s a great shaver and an upgrade from what I have been using even though I have medium to thick beard hair.
I am planning on reviewing more face shaving razors as I found the process wonderful and fulfilling. I am planning on purchasing the OneBlade Hybrid, the next step up from the core, and reviewing it. Stay tuned.
Any comments or questions I would the chance to answer.